Balcony leaks are common, particularly in older homes, multi-story buildings and apartments. If left alone the leak can lead to extensive damage and expensive repairs. If your balcony is leaking it is important to take measures to fix the problem before it causes bigger issues. At My Shower, our aim is to create permanent cost-effective solutions for leaking showers and balconies and other waterproofing solutions for customers in and around Perth. Balcony waterproofing and leak repairs don’t have to involve major renovations, read ahead for our guide to leaking balconies and how to repair them.
Why is My Balcony Leaking?
There’s a wide variety of factors that could cause a balcony to leak. The following are some of the most common reasons for balcony leakage:
- Tile breakage and movement
- Porous and deteriorated grout
- Waterproof membrane failure
- Doorway and balustrading problems
- Cracking in the perimeter and skirting tile seals
- Poor drainage and fall towards drainage
What is involved in Balcony Waterproofing?
A technician will come to your home to assess your balcony and provide instructions on how to prepare the surface. When the surface is ready, the service includes an application of sealant on tiles and grout joints as well as a perimeter seal and a chemical tile.
Will The Tiles Have to Be Removed?
No, the tiles will not need to be removed. Instead, sealant is applied over the tiles to prevent water seeping through. This also prevents dirt getting into grouting and causing damage.
How Long Will It Take?
Generally, the job can be done quickly with the minimum of disruption and provides an effective, cost effective solution to balcony leaks.
Why You Should Not Delay Balcony Leak Repairs
A leaking balcony is not just a nuisance, if left unrepaired:
- Water penetrating into below dwelling spaces can cause disputes between neighbours and could even end in litigation.
- Mould spoors from damp affected areas will continue to spread, which are detrimental to the health of the inhabitants of the home.
- Water leaking into the surrounding structures can cause eventual demise of the critical structural components.
- The walls and ceiling below will start to discolour and will need repainting.
- Electrical systems may be damaged, causing power outages and emitting dangerous charges.
What Should I Do If I Suspect My Balcony has a Leak?
If you think your balcony is leaking, you should call a professional waterproofing company that specialises in fixing balcony leaks. Don’t attempt to DIY – dealing with a leaking balcony is complicated and should not be taken lightly. To fix the issue properly requires specific procedures, tools and products for the job. A professional will also add sealant to the penetrating structures to prevent future leaks.
If you are looking for reliable and affordable bathroom and balcony waterproofing solutions in Perth, contact the experts at My Shower. We specialise in the use of world-class Epoxy products for long-lasting and cost effective solutions Give us a call today on 1300 055 088 to discuss your particular situation and find out how we can help.